Thursday, April 20, 2006

Shoes

Ministry Update

The Lord gave us an excellent close to the meeting in Virginia and then some exciting times of rest and relaxation for a couple of days in North Carolina. One of the highlights for me was getting an education in the woods turkey hunting – but that is another story. Today we traveled over 400 miles and are staying in the church parking lot of Bible Baptist Church just outside Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where Mark Falls is pastor. Our plan is to continue on to Fort Worth in the next two days. We will be in a four day meeting there and then go on to Amarillo.

Family Update

This has been quite a week for us. Early Monday morning, I had to go in for the three hour glucose test since I didn’t pass the one hour test that I had two weeks ago. This entailed not eating or drinking anything from midnight the day before until after noon on Monday. I was allowed to have water, but nothing else. I had to drink 12 ounces of the awfullest tasting orange sugar drink, which is bad enough by itself, but when taken on an empty stomach while pregnant, was almost more than I could handle. I thank the Lord that I only had one elevated reading, which means that I do not have gestational diabetes, but they recommended that I go on the diet anyway, since all the readings were not normal. After “donating” seven vials of blood for the testing, I was feeling rather anemic when I finally left the clinic, and my right arm was throbbing. I am glad that ordeal is over.

The children enjoyed their first Easter egg hunt on Sunday (yes, we are complete heathens). Of course, I could not use real eggs for health reasons, so plastic candy-filled eggs were our alternative. It was so much fun to watch them run around the yard finding eggs. Josiah was much faster, and if he found two eggs together, he would call out to Abigail, “Abigail, here’s your egg!” She would then run from wherever she was, calling, “Thank you! Thank you!” It was so cute!

Josiah has been having more trouble this week than he has all this year. There is something about this time of year. He has had several breathing treatments each day, but nothing serious up to this point. We would appreciate your continued prayers throughout this season, especially since our travels have coincided with spring in each area of the country we have visited for the last six weeks or so.

Josiah was talking today (as usual), and began a discourse on hot air balloons. I am not sure where he learned about them, but he is extremely interested in taking a ride in one. He said that if we got a hot air balloon, he and Daddy and Abigail could ride in it while I drive the truck. He also said that he would blow it up for the ride. He couldn’t understand why we laughed when he informed us of this plan. I will say, though, he could probably put enough hot air in it to get it off the ground! We are trying to teach him proper grammar as it comes up in conversation, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I know it is confusing for him at times. The other day, he was telling a story about a bird and said that it “flied” through the woods. “Flew,” I corrected. “Yes,” he continued. “The bird was flew-ming through the woods.” Whatever.

Abigail has learned the first line of “Happy Birthday” and will sing it several dozen times in a row before getting distracted. She has also taken to repeating the last two or three words of each sentence she hears. We were in the store the other day, and I had to get her a new pair of shoes. As I stood, looking at the meager selection, she looked up and saw a pair of shiny, purple shoes. “Ohhhh!” she breathed. “Shoes! I like shoes!” It was so funny I had to laugh. Paul groaned when I told him. I know he envisions our trailer looking like a shoe outlet as she gets older. He will get used to the idea eventually. He can at least be thankful that she doesn’t know that for every pair of shoes there is a purse and earrings to match!

No comments: