Thursday, January 21, 2010

Trailer Ransom

After a great meeting in Southaven, MS, I left the family in the prophet’s chamber of the Clearview Baptist Church and headed out alone to get the trailer in SC. Traffic was perfect; or the trip was timed perfectly so that even Atlanta was a breeze to travel through, and I arrived in Anderson, SC about 3:30 this afternoon. Since my dad had picked up the parts to fix my trailer, I asked him to meet me at the gas station at which I had left my trailer on Saturday of last week. He arrived there shortly before I did and immediately called me to tell me that my trailer was not there. By the time I arrived, he had done some investigation and discovered that the owner of the gas station had towed my trailer off the premises at my expense. (I should have anticipated this development. The station employees told us that the owner was a jerk.) Thankfully, the towing company that towed the trailer was just right across the overpass from the gas station, and we could get to work on repairing the parts almost immediately.

This morning, when I left north Mississippi, the temperature was a balmy 63 degrees. Though thunderstorms had moved through in the early morning hours, I anticipated a nice day to work. By the time I hit Atlanta, a strong front had moved in, dropping the temperature over twenty degrees and bringing high winds and rain. The result was that the dirt lot that housed my banished trailer was a soupy mess of Carolina mud. When we got the hub off the axle and began putting the new studs in it, I noticed that the newly purchased studs were not quite the same as the ones that had come off the trailer originally. Specifically, their threads were not as deep as the original studs, causing me to wonder if the wheel would tighten down properly or not. Before putting all the studs in, we tried the tire on to see if the lugs would tighten and, thank the Lord, they did. So, for better or for worse, I made the decision to go with the parts that the manufacturer said should go on the trailer, even though they differed slightly from the originals. Once I finally got everything put back together, I left Anderson, tired, wet, cold, and $300 poorer. Far better to pay that much to get our old trailer than to pay $80,000 for a new one, I figure. Besides, if we totally got rid of the old trailer, I would have replace all of my wife’s shoes and clothes. Who knows how much extra that would run?

The plan is for me to take the trailer back to north Mississippi tomorrow, pick up my family, and continue on from there toward California. Everything seems to be going on schedule for those plans except one thing: they are calling for snow here tonight…

No comments: