Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dry Dock to Underway

I was able to take the trailer back to north MS with no problems, at least so it seemed. I arrived without incident on Friday night, but was nagged by some things that I noticed about the trailer. To begin with, the trailer seemed to be leaning to the passenger side—listing to starboard, as sailors would say—even though it was on relatively even pavement. A man in a trailer repair shop in Anderson, SC, had looked over my suspension and pronounced it good to go, but after my trip to north MS, I was beginning to doubt his word. Secondly, when I arrived at the church, there was the unmistakable smell of burning rubber wafting about the parked trailer, and particularly on the passenger side. (What is it about that side?) Further inquiry revealed that the first two tires had touched each other countless times during the trip as well as rubbing on the top of wheel well, combining for a burnt rubber sensation to rival Daytona or the drag strip. Though it was dark, I decided to look into the trailer yet that night and try to ascertain what was causing the problems I had discovered. The pastor and another man in the church immediately volunteered to help me and we three worked until midnight assessing problems and getting a part list together for me to find on Saturday. The problem as we saw it was an equalizer, a triangular part that couples the rear of the middle leaf spring to the front of the rear leaf spring. On the passenger side, this piece had almost been cut in two by the constant bumps and jarring of the road, the cut costing the trailer about two inches of height compared to the other side. The opposite equalizer on the driver side, though it was not nearly as bad as the passenger side, was nevertheless damaged and also needed to be replaced. By midnight the old part was off on the passenger side, the trailer was suspended safely on blocks, and the tools were in place to put the new parts in on Saturday.

Saturday morning was filled with futile efforts to locate the parts that I needed. Not only did I call businesses all over the Memphis area, I also visited many of them in person, hoping that though they did not have a part from the original manufacturer, they might have one from another company that would meet my need. After three hours of this work, I was still without the parts that I needed to get the trailer fixed. In the providence of God, the owner of one of the trailer repair places that I had called was in his shop on Saturday, even though he normally does not keep Saturday hours. He was in the office and heard me leave a message on his machine about the parts that I needed. He returned my call and assured me that he had the exact parts I needed. A quick run to his establishment prepared me to put the trailer back together. We still had to make one more run to get some bolts that we needed to put the parts on. The pastor and I made this run while the other layman stayed and completed some other tasks that he needed to perform at the church. When we returned, he informed us of another discovery: one of the welds that held the front leaf spring on had come completely off. Can you guess what side it was on? At this point, I decided to take the trailer in and have someone who was set up with all the tools on hand do the work. So our plans were altered yet again.

We stayed the night in the trailer Saturday night and got ready to go to the Sunday service. Sunday night, the pastor asked me to preach once again to his people, and the Lord gave us another good service there.

Monday morning, I took the trailer into Memphis to the shop and left it in the care of the Surwic Trailer Hitch Company. The owner, Danny Surwic, assured me that he would complete the job on Monday, if he had to stay until 7:00 at night to get it done. A few minutes before 5, the work was completed and they called me to ask that I would come pick it up. The workman did an excellent job on the suspension, repairing anything that showed any signs of weakening due to age. The result is a trailer is very road ready in the axles and suspension.

This morning, we left the Memphis area headed for Texas. We arrived at the Metropolitan Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX, a little before 8:00 this evening local time. After installing the proper receptacle for our trailer (they had the wrong one), we plugged in only to notice a burning smell in the trailer. It smelled as if it were some sort of electrical problem. After power was on, I finally pinpointed our problem. The inverter that converts 120v AC to 12v DC has burned out and will have to be replaced. That means that most of our lights now run off the battery instead of the normal power supply, causing them to grow dimmer the longer we run them. The good news is that this part will be relatively easy to replace; the bad news is that it is expensive. At least we are in a big city right now on a normal workday. The part should be easy to find and install tomorrow, but then, I have said that before.

We can still make it to CA in the time that we have. Thank you for your prayers and please continue to pray for us. The temptation to abandon the trailer along the side of the interstate is growing in strength, and though we have not yet yielded, we must fight it harder than we have ever had to before.

No comments: