Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Losing It

Ministry Update

We are at one of my favorite places in which to preach: Grace Baptist Church in Semmes, AL just outside of Mobile. The Lord is giving us another wonderful meeting this week. Although we have not yet seen anyone saved, the Lord has done a work so far among God’s people. Preaching the Pastor’s fellowship this morning was a great joy and many of the men expressed to me how the Holy Spirit had encouraged their hearts. Our meeting goes through Friday after which we head back home for less than a week.

Family Update

Well, this week has been quite interesting so far. I already mentioned that I lost my keys, but that is not all I lost. I also lost my watch – the clasp must have come undone when I was out somewhere. I lost my phone (while it was set on vibrate, of course) and found it the next day. Then, the ultimate was this morning when I lost my balance and fell off the platform at the preacher’s fellowship. My heel caught on the edge of the carpeted step and I only had time to think, “Uh-oh! I am going to fall!” Whump! There I was on hands and knees in front of the altar. (Paul has been hoping for this for quite some time, but I don’t know if that is exactly the way he thought it would happen!) Someone helped me up, and I fled the auditorium, trying to conceal my laughter. When I had regained my composure, I came back inside for the sermon. Everyone was very concerned about me, although the only damage I suffered was rug-burned knees. Several people tried to make me feel better by telling me how many times they had “almost done that very same thing” a dozen times or more. Others told me how graceful my landing had been. Yeah, right! “What a klutz – but, boy, what a great landing! Didn’t even scream! I give her about a seven on that one. Har! Har!” The worst thing of all was that my heel separated from my shoe. I guess I will just have to get another pair! Oh, well!

After the preaching, there was a meal, and we all sat around talking for quite some time. Most of the people were gone when I heard the very distinct sound of a mousetrap disengaging in the church kitchen. I looked around, and Esther was nowhere to be seen. I heard no screams, so I assumed that either she hadn’t been hurt, or her lips were snapped together and she couldn’t cry. She was quite upset when I took the trap away from her. It seems that it had been baited with Twix candy bar, and she found that very tasty. I felt a great compunction to scrub her mouth and face with Comet or something very strong, but in the end, I only used soap and water. Hopefully, the trap hadn’t been used very much previously. I will have to keep an eye on her though, because she might just think that a mousetrap is the means of a quick and easy snack. Next time, it might not be such a happy ending!

Last Saturday, I found a tick embedded in Abigail’s head. It was a traumatic experience for all involved. Try telling a three-year-old who hates bugs with a passion that there is a bug biting her on the head and you have to get it off right now. Later that evening, I was looking at the site of the tick bite when I noticed something else much worse. Her hair was full of….well, I won’t say what. Some of you may get the creepy-crawlies if I mention it. This new development, combined with the hours-earlier tick incident, served to give me the most horrible sensations I have had in ten years. Paul was sent to Wal-mart post-haste to get shampoo, and I began the tedious process of combing out her hair. This also necessitated my finding someone to comb through my hair, just in case. Thankfully, nothing was found in my hair, and Abigail is now clean. Loads of laundry and bedding were immediately dispatched to the 24-hour Laundromat, only to find that it had closed at 10 PM due to recent vandalism. What are the chances? All is back to normal, except that at any hour of the day, I can be seen looking furtively at my daughter’s head, hoping to see only what is supposed to be there. Where did she get it? We have no idea, and I really don’t think I want to know. Life is full of surprises! Maybe she got it from YOU!

No comments: