Monday, June 11, 2007

Indians!

Indian Update

Last night, after attending the morning service of a local independent Baptist church, we had our first service out at the Indian Baptist Mission Camp Meeting. Though the meeting does not officially start until tomorrow, there are already representatives from the Six Nation Iroquois reserve in Ontario, as well as Apache, Choctaw, and Creek, the latter two from right here in Oklahoma. With this handful of maybe 60 people, we had a service tonight. During the song service, we all sang “Amazing Grace” in English, then the Iroquois sang it in Mohawk, then the Choctaw sang it in their Choctaw, and finally it was sung in Creek. For me, it was quite emotionally moving to sit and listen (I know no Native American dialects). I realized that this gathering of people would not even exist, were it not for the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Here were entirely different traditions, languages, and cultures, all made one by the blood of Christ. One day we all will sing to Jesus, “Thou…hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.” To get a foretaste of that day while here on earth was a treat for me this evening.

I was asked to preach the first message tonight, and many told me afterwards how that God spoke to their hearts. I am told that this a meeting in which they call preachers from the floor; that should prove interesting. I found myself wishing that I could preach every service of the entire week, but then I had to make sure that my motivation is not pride. I would love to preach again, there is not doubt about it. We’ll pray, wait, and see.

Paul

No comments: