Monday, March 31, 2008

Road to Recovery

Ministry Update

After showing up sick to this meeting in Hot Springs, VA, the pastor decided that it might be better if I did not preach on Sunday so that I could rest and recover. I hope to be in the pulpit tonight, although I am nowhere close to being well. I do, however, feel better than I have since Thursday night, doubtless due to the prayers of all of you. Thank you so much.

Family Update

After thinking that my fever had broken Saturday morning, I was negatively surprised when it came back with a vengeance as the day progressed. We left Luray, VA, and by the time we were in Harrisonburg, VA, the old symptoms were all back: burning eyes, aching bones, nuclear headache, and overall physical weakness. Once we got off the Interstate and began our trek to the church, I was hoping to meet Jack Kevorkian or some half-crazed serial killer to at least put me out of my misery. No such personage materialized, however, much to my wife’s comfort.

The cow path that led to Hot Springs (a.k.a. US 220) caused some close calls for us pulling the trailer: there were several times when we feared we would rear end ourselves on some of the curves. Had the children not been asleep, they probably would have been carsick by the time we arrived.

Set-up in Hot Springs took longer than usual. We had the trailer situated, only to find that it had to be moved so that we could have electricity for the week. Then, I had to wire directly into the breaker box, quite a feat when one’s hands are shaking like a set of canastas. We finally got everything set up, except for water, which I decided could wait until later. I then stumbled back into the trailer for another sleepless night of furnacedom.

Saturday night, I was hotter than ever, according to my wife. Not that she minded. The God of heaven had chosen to mock the meteorologists in their ideas of global warming and postpone spring, at least in the mountains of western Virginia. In addition to the other happenings of the evening, there fell a wintry mix of sleet and snow.

One of the effects of this sickness for me is that it completely takes away my ability to sleep at night. I have not slept except for catnaps here and there since Wednesday night of last week. Saturday, however, was the worst that I can ever remember. I lay in bed generating so much heat that it made a rotisserie of my wife, who had to turn over regularly, so as to avoid spontaneous combustion herself. I felt as if I were getting worse as the night progressed toward midnight. It was about then that I started seeing apocalyptic visions. These visions continued until 1:00 when my wife finally convinced me to take a fever reducer. Looking back on it, I realize that I must have been hot because I don’t remember the heater coming on very much despite the frigidity of the outside air. By morning, I felt somewhat better, the symptoms of my sickness being suppressed by the fever reducer.

After talking to my pastor and youth pastor at my home church, as well as to my Dad and the pastor of the church in which I was supposed to be preaching, I decided that it might be best to see a doctor about my condition. It was either a doctor or a snake-handling faith healer across the line in West Virginia. I opted for the former. Since I obviously had no family practitioner in the area, my only option was the hospital emergency room. I was somewhat embarrassed to go to the emergency room for something as trifling as a fever, but I was nearing the place where pride was completely out of the picture. I was startled when they asked about my living will before they would treat me. I had known that it was bad, but surely not that bad.

Now, I am on three different medications that have taken care of most of the symptoms. I am still weak, sometimes dizzy, and fearful of possible brain damage that may have resulted from the fever. My wife assures me that my brain, dubious as it was to begin with, has now been cooked to the consistency of scrambled eggs, though somewhat less tasty.

Our girls are still sick, especially Esther, who has a nasty cough and a fussy disposition. Abigail is not as bad as Esther, and Josiah seems to be fine. Thank you all for your prayers. They have been felt and appreciated.

Attention: Future meetings with Evangelist Paul Crow are subject to the approval of the Centers for Disease Control.

No comments: