Thursday, September 03, 2009

Plains Update

Ministry Update

The Lord has given us good meetings in the heartland of the United States. I have met some men that I had not known before, and God has given us some wonderful fellowship on the basis of our salvation and desire to serve Christ. One of the men that I have met is another evangelist by the name of Rodney Stewart. I had never met him before, but he eyed me askance as I walked into church with the rest of my family. (It was one of our Wednesday’s off; I was not preaching anywhere that night.) After a while, he asked me if he knew me, and after my negative assurances, he realized that he had seen my picture on the back cover of a book named Cliffs and Fences. Pastor Surrett of our home church had told me that things like that would happen. He told of men whom he had never met who had picked up his book from he knew not where and had read it, then favorably passing it on to others. The same thing has happened to me in the case of Rod Stewart. More and more, the stories are getting back to me of how the Lord has been using my book in their lives. We praise the Lord for answered prayer in this matter. (If you would like a copy of my book and have not yet gotten one, you can order by clicking here.)

One of the ways that the Lord is providing for our financial needs is with money from table sales. In between my book, Sarah’s piano book, and my two Baptist history series, we are often kept busy after the services at our table. We praise the Lord that these materials are getting into the hands of God’s people.

Thank you for your prayers for our ministry. The Lord has planted seed thoughts in my head for another book. I would ask that you pray for me in this regard. Some might wonder if the next book may have something to do with Baptist history. My answer is, Wait and see.

Family Update

Well, greetings from windy South Dakota! Our family has been enjoying this trip through the northern Midwest states. The weather has been very mild, and sometimes even cool, which is evidently due to the fact of global warming. This may be a direct result of all the rainforests that have been destroyed by our family in the form of disposable diapers. I am happy to say that we are now going “green” and are only going to be using half the amount of consumable paper products as before. Yes – congratulations are in order for Esther, since she is now a “big girl” and no longer needs diapers! Thank you, thank you… (round of applause).

School started nearly three weeks ago, and we are enjoying the days already. Josiah is now in the third grade, learning the rules of capitalization, the times tables, and the organs of the human body. Abigail is finished learning her five “bowels” and is ready to move on to the consonants. She is doing a great job so far, and is looking forward to reading this year! Esther also does “school,” which basically consists of coloring a pretty picture for Mama each morning. Her interest is waning already, and more often than not, she stops coloring to play with her dolls. We have already had two very neat field trips.
The first was to Itasca State Park, where we waded across the headwaters of the Mississippi River. For those of us that have seen the Mississippi river as it enters the Gulf of Mexico, it is amazing! It is perhaps 15 feet across, and 1-2 feet deep! It was neat, because the kids remembered crossing the Old Miss before, and they couldn’t believe how little it was. As I looked at it, I was reminded of the fact that so many times we allow something in our lives that seems insignificant, but after a little time and distance it is extremely powerful! How carefully we need to guard our hearts and lives from those “little things.”

Our next field trip was a long-coveted one for me. We went to Rapid City, SD, the home of Mount Rushmore. It was a beautiful day – clear skies and a nice breeze. The mountain was impressive! The kids really liked seeing the carved faces of the Presidents. Even Esther got excited. She still likes looking at the pictures and asking which one is Lincoln (she can’t remember any of the other names). We hiked the Presidential Trail, which gave us a several different views of the mountain’s face. We even saw a mountain goat and her baby grazing not far from the walkway. It was hard work walking up and down the stairs, carrying the stroller with Daniel in it, so we had to take a lot of breaks. Esther’s short little legs got kind of tired, and I commented to Paul that she must be worn out when even her pigtails were wilted!

Josiah has had some minor trouble with his asthma the last few weeks, and we are not sure why. It might be because one of the popular crops out here is hay, and it is in the air, especially when they are harvesting, cutting, and raking it. I am just glad that they are not harvesting wheat right now. That would be really hard on him. Please keep him in your prayers. He has also had some random breakouts after eating, which bothers me, since it shouldn’t be happening. Perhaps his system is just reacting to the stress of the airborne allergens.

Daniel continues to grow and is nearly ten months old!!!!! Where has the time gone? He has six, beautiful, shiny, and very sharp teeth. He likes to use these not only on his food, but occasionally on Paul’s and my shoulders. He has decided from our reactions, that perhaps he should just stick to using them for food. He eats at an alarming rate, and is learning to drink from a cup as well. However, whenever possible I give him his own cup, because I do not like as many “floaties” in my drink as he does. He is crawling and pulling up, too, but not yet walking. Sometimes he will get up and then cannot figure out how to get down again. This results in a lot of hollering on his part until one of us rescues him. He definitely enjoys his mobility, and he siblings are now being a little more careful about where they leave their most precious belongings. He has had a few minor skin rashes, and I think they are due to having some egg and milk in his food, so we will be eliminating those items from his diet. Nothing new – he just wants to be like his big brother!

We had a blessing a few weeks ago. I ran across Betty Crocker’s Gluten Free baking mixes and found, to my great delight, that with an egg substitute, Josiah can eat both kinds of cake and the chocolate chip cookies! You should have seen his eyes light up when I told him the goodies were for him! The Lord is so good to give us unexpected blessings!

Our meetings are going well, and we will head to Elkton, SD this weekend for out next meeting. Pray that the Lord will use us to be a blessing to the church there, and that we would see fruit that would remain.

No comments: